Family dinner isn't about the food. It's about the conversation. It's about laughter. It's about being together. Family Dinner offers a pause in our busy lives to connect with family.
As my kids get older, I've noticed a strong pull away from this time. There are playdates, sports practices, meetings at work and school. Even though my husband and I occasionally lose the battle, we've decided to make dinnertime a priority.
To make table talk more fun, we painted our kitchen table with chalkboard paint (paper works too!). We usually have a five-minute devotion and then get the family talking with one of these easy conversation startes and activities:
- Draw a picture of the person next to you, then add a funny hat.
- Play tic-tac-toe or hangman.
- Draw the answer to the question: If you could be a zoo animal, what animal would you be?
- Design a comic strip about your day.
- Play Pictionary.
- Create a word search with your favorite words.
- Draw what's in your heart (family, God, etc.).
- Create dream clouds and fill them with words describing your dreams.
- Use pictures to describe your prayers.
- Draw a picture of your best day ever.
- Use your imagination, this is just the beginning!
by Kristen Welch